Categorized | Residential

Flood Insurance Rates Drop 5% in San Diego County

Please Share!

Flood Insurance Rates have dropped another 5% for the unincorporated areas of San Diego County.  Yesterday, San Diego issued a press release stating that unincorporated areas of the county will be eligible for another 5% reduction in Flood Insurance rates adding to their overall reduction of 15% already.  The County Watershed Protection staff claim the victory for this reduction giving it’s unincorporated residents a total of 20% discount overall.

In order to obtain the lower flood insurance rates, The County Watershed Protection staff complied with a list of standards and requirements listed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, otherwise known as FEMA.  Every five years FEMA will come by and conduct on-site inspections to verify they are complying with different regulations and standards.  These could be maintaining maps of storm water systems, managing storm water, or even conducting public education campaigns.

This comes at a time when the Flood Insurance Federal Program is basically on life support, getting another 30 day extension just a few weeks ago.  The program is set to expire at the end of June of this year.  Congress is fighting over whether or not tax payers should be paying for resident flood insurance rather than allowing private insurance companies to enter the mix.  Another issue is in regards to federal flood maps that are not showing levee’s and thus those areas are being required to obtain Federal Flood Insurance.

San Diego County boasts that they maintain and modern storm drain mapping system including drain inlets, pipes, and channels.  They can utilize this to get current information on potential flood issues and thus can warn residents with pinpoint accuracy.  Also, the County coordinates flood response activities, enforces building regulations, land development, soil erosion education, and much more.

Please Share!

About James Pattric

James writes for the Residential category (along with Josh Johnson) and also heads up the Resources category.

Leave a Reply

Twitter Chat